Friday, December 19, 2008

Afternoon Tea

Having afternoon tea is a culture in my family. My brothers and I used to have biscuits, corn flakes or nyonya kuih as our afternoon tea when we were small. Sometimes my papa bought mee goreng, mee rebus, laksa, cendol, cucuk udang, char kueh tiau or roti canai for us when he came home from work, especially when he was in morning shift, which he finished work at 2pm. Ah Boy loves mamak and malay food very much, as spicy food is his favorite. While Ah Seng loves only delicious food, no matter what it is, it needs to be prepared with 'heart', I remember Char Kueh Tiau is one of his favorite food since he small. And for myself, Laksa is always my favorite. My mom and I always add some rice in the remaining laksa kuah so that it won't be wasted.

During the weekend, either my papa, mom, grandma or aunty Mi would prepare the afternoon tea. They could prepare macam-macam, like red bean soup, sweet potato soup, bo bo cha cha, cempedak kuih, mi hun kueh and cucuk udang.

Of cause, as a typical Malaysian family, durian also became our afternoon tea during the season.

Since we grew up, we seldom have afternoon tea already, though those are one of my sweetest memory during the days we stayed in Taman Transkrian.

Nonetheless, I am so lucky that since I operate a shop in Chai Leng Park, I have chance to eat afternoon tea again. My papa likes to come to my shop during the afternoon. Especially when he has something to do at nearby, for sure he will stopby and bring me for tea. He loves mee rebus and mee goreng, while i eat cucuk udang or curry puff with coconut juice. I hope I could have more chance to have afternoon tea with him, I know he enjoys it very much and me too.

1 comment:

Chee Lim said...

oh... when i see the words mee goreng, really beh dong, miss it so much

i always suspect papa enjoys visiting yr shop very much as a good excuse to lim teh :-D